Learn more about each of our committees and task forces by reading the descriptions below or contacting the committee chair. Click each button to learn more! Look for our Willingness to Serve call in January to indicate your interest in any of these volunteer opportunities.
The Awards Committee grants scholarships and awards, recognizing those who have demonstrated a dedication to GI nursing, continuing education and to the goals of SGNA.
- Chair: Rita Walters-Peyton
- Committee Members: Alida Dempsey (Co-chair), June Guarente, Colleen Keith, Kim Lemon, April Sundong, Dee Tilley
The Education Committee strategically directs the creation of educational activities and publications that address the educational needs of the practitioners and designs educational activities, which enhance the lifelong educational growth of nurses and associates in gastroenterology and endoscopy.
- Chair: Rhoda Redulla
- Committee Members: Catherine Gabster (Co-chair), Nichole Breeden, Kim Gallub, Janet Servoss, Rhonda Ward
Healthcare Policy Committee
The Healthcare Policy Committee educates SGNA members/customers and governing and accrediting agencies on colorectal cancer awareness and infection prevention.
- Chair: Cathleen Shellnut
- Committee Members: Loralee Kelsey (Co-chair), Kris Barman, Pamela Courtney, Erica Natal
Nominations & Elections Committee
The Nominations and Elections Committee solicits and evaluates candidates for SGNA leadership positions (Board of Directors and Nominations and Elections Committee Members) and prepares a slate of candidates for the annual ballot. Members serve a one-year term and the positions are elected. The Nominations and Elections Committee is not available through the Willingness to Serve survey.
- Chair: Lea Anne Myers
- Committee Members: Michelle Day, Jan Provenzano, Kathy Vinci, Karen Wilson
The Program Committee plans relevant and diverse topics and associated speakers within the Annual Course schedule to meet the various needs of the SGNA membership and course attendees.
- Chair: Michele Tyring
- Committee Members: Rhonda Flesch (Co-chair), Deb Anders, Linda Daniels, Janet Fidanze, Kathie Holloway, Patricia Jean, Karen Zervopoulos
The Practice Committee ensures that practice related products and services are kept current and new practice related items are developed to meet member needs and assist in the achievement of SGNA’s mission statement and goals.
- Chair: Susan Bocian
- Committee Members: Amy Granato (Co-chair), Midolie Loyola, Lauren Robertson
Regional Societies Committee
The Regional Societies Committee works with local regional societies to provide support and direction for any questions, issues and accomplishments that arise within their assigned regional societies. Additionally, they assist in planning regional leadership conference sessions.
- Chair: Jean Stoa
- Committee Members: Jo Sienknecht (Co-chair), Katy Crenshaw, Tanya Flake Cain, Jean Gleich, Mary Pierce, Emma Rogers, Marla Tobin
The Research Committee supports and evaluates GI/endoscopy research to further the knowledge of the GI/Endoscopy nurses and associates and will encourage the conduct of research studies.
Other Ways to Get Involved
Associates Advisory Group
The Associate Advisory Council will work to increase associate involvement and voice within SGNA and the larger GI profession.
- Chair: Linda Daniels
- Committee Members: Jose Gonzalez, Liben Mahometano, Bridget Yancey
Editorial Task Force
The Editorial Advisory Committee (EAC) is responsible for the oversight of SGNA’s year-round content, published on The Inside Tract, SGNA’s online content hub. This includes working with the staff team to suggest topics and possible authors for publication. The EAC is also responsible for assisting in any reviews of technical content, to ensure accuracy.
- Committee Members: Janet Fidanze, Coleen Keith, Muriel Moyo, Rhoda Redulla, Kathy Vinci, John Whelan
Gut to the Chase Podcast Speaker Interest
We'd love to hear from you! Contact SGNA Headquarters with any questions about SGNA volunteer opportunities.
Interested in serving on a committee or task force for the American Board of Certification for Gastroenterology Nurses (ABCGN)? Please contact ABCGN Headquarters via phone at: 855/25-ABCGN or via email at: email@example.com.