SGNA offers unique and rewarding opportunities for you to be part of the gastroenterology community. Serving as a volunteer on a SGNA committee is your opportunity to share your knowledge, passion and skills with the Society while learning from and networking with your colleagues.
Call for volunteers, through the Willingness to Serve Form are now closed. All volunteer positions are a one (1) year term from May 2022 - May 2023 unless otherwise noted.
Learn more about each of our committees by reading the descriptions below or contacting the committee chair. Click each button to learn more!
The Awards Committee grants scholarships and awards, recognizing those who have demonstrated a dedication to GI nursing, continuing education and to the goals of SGNA.
Chair: Rita Walters-Peyton
- Committee Members: Alida Dempsey (Co-chair), Sheri King, Colleen Keith, Catherine Roller, Kathy Buffington, Amanda Johnson, April Sundong, Deborah Parkinson
The Editorial Advisory Committee (EAC) is responsible for the oversight of SGNA’s year-round content, published on The Inside Tract, SGNA’s online content hub. This includes workingwith the staff team to suggest topics and possible authors for publication. The EAC is also responsible for assisting in any reviews of technical content, to ensure accuracy.
- Committee Members: Colleen Keith, Kim Baeza, Clark Ricketta, John Whelan
The Education Committee strategically directs the creation of educational activities and publications that address the educational needs of the practitioners and designs educational activities, which enhance the lifelong educational growth of nurses and associates in gastroenterology and endoscopy.
- Chair: Rhoda Redulla
- Committee Members: Catherine Gabster (Co-chair), Irene Fecaro, Tammy Hogue, Laura Clark, Felisha Wright, Janet Servoss
Healthcare Policy Committee
The Healthcare Policy Committee educates SGNA members/customers and governing and accrediting agencies on colorectal cancer awareness and infection prevention.
- Chair: Erica Natal
- Committee Members: Cathy Bauer, Lisa Brown, Jim Collins, Milena Mardahay, Kelley Watson, Sarah Osorio, Lisa Brown
The Program Committee plans relevant and diverse topics and associated speakers within the Annual Course schedule to meet the various needs of the SGNA membership and course attendees.
- Chair: Ronda Flesch
- Committee Members: Michelle Day (Co-chair), Sarah Stainko, Kimbery Venturella, Patricia Jean, Karen Zervopoulos, Dee Tilley-Mira
The Practice Committee ensures that practice related products and services are kept current and new practice related items are developed to meet member needs and assist in the achievement of SGNA’s mission statement and goals.
- Chair: Susan Bocian
- Committee Members: Amy Granato (Co-chair), Valentina Dedman, Amy Pooler, Stephanie Prischak, Midolie Loyola
Regional Societies Committee
The Regional Societies Committee works with local regional societies to provide support and direction for any questions, issues and accomplishments that arise within their assigned regional societies. Additionally, they assist in planning regional leadership conference sessions.
- Chair: Mary Pierce
- Committee Members: Katy Crenshaw (Co-chair), Jill Bendiske-Minor, Don Cooper, Traci Benson, Jim Randall, Elizabeth Walter, Tanya Cain, Linda Daniels, Michelle Allday
The Research Committee supports and evaluates GI/endoscopy research to further the knowledge of the GI/Endoscopy nurses and associates and will encourage the conduct of research studies.
- Chair: Paula Cox-North
- Committee Members: Regnia McBride (Co-chair), Beth Collins, Cathleen Shellnut, Yeye Kometa, Michelle Juan
Other Ways to Get Involved
Associates Advisory Group
The Associate Advisory Council will work to increase associate involvement and voice within SGNA and the larger GI profession.
- Chair: Linda Daniels
- Committee Members: Jose Gonzalez, Liben Mahometano, Bridget Yancey
Gut to the Chase Podcast Speaker Interest
We'd love to hear from you! Contact SGNA Headquarters with any questions about SGNA volunteer opportunities.
Interested in serving on a committee or task force for the American Board of Certification for Gastroenterology Nurses (ABCGN)? Please contact ABCGN Headquarters via phone at: 855/25-ABCGN or via email at: email@example.com.