SGNA is excited to introduce The Empowering Diversity in the GI Profession Scholarship, a new scholarship program intended to increase diversity and inclusion within the GI profession. This scholarship provides financial support to SGNA members from underrepresented racial and ethnic backgrounds, gender identities, sexual orientations and or/those who have been impacted by disability.
Scholarships will be awarded in the spring to members who meet the criteria. Funds can be used to cover tuition or registration costs, study materials, textbooks or other expenses related to education. Applicants must consent to SGNA publishing name and title, if selected for the award, in our promotional materials.
Applications for a 2021 Empowering Diversity in the GI Profession Scholarship are now closed.
Watch the video below to meet the first recipients of the Empowering Diversity in the GI Profession Scholarship!
Who is Eligible?
- Current SGNA members from underrepresented groups.
- For degree seekers: Students who have completed at least one semester in an accredited university or college degree program with an earned GPA of at least 3.0 (by the time the application is submitted), or you have been accepted to that program to begin in the following term or semester.
- For those pursuing other forms of education or certification: Professionals who have registered for and can provide verification of your forthcoming participation in the exam or educational course.
What Does the Scholarship Support?
This scholarship supports undergraduate or graduate-level studies (e.g. Associate’s Degree, BSN, MSN or PhD) from an accredited college or university. Studies can be within a nursing program or in preparation for a degree in the healthcare field.
- $10,000 for full-time students
- $5,000 for part-time students (minimum of 3 credit hours/semester)
Preparation materials, educational programs and examination costs in support of a certification, certificate or similar program related to the GI profession (e.g. CGRN, CFER or AGTS).
- $2,500 total funds per scholarship recipient
The SGNA Empowering GI Professional Diversity Scholarship is supported by: